Monday, 18 August 2014

Understanding each other


        Today I was forwarded this gem of a comic (source: http://www.stanleycolors.com -- fair warning: not all of Pablo Stanley's comics are safe for work) and it reminded me of one of Stephen Covey's key principles of effectiveness: Seek First to Understand (Covey, 2004). Specifically, where Covey points out though we may all speak the same language we all have different understandings of the same ideas.

        This made me think about how many Hermeneutical inquiries I have already embarked on during my career as I tried to understand the place where others were coming from as they defined requirements, stated preferences, lodged complaints or heaped praise. Recognizing that you have to establish context for the communications from others is key to the process of understanding and is a practice I have attempted to follow for many years. It's amazing how strongly your own history (background, education, experiences, etc.) can influence your interpretation of what you read and hear.

        I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this effect as well?



References

Covey, S. R. (2004). The 7 habits of highly effective people: Restoring the character ethic.
        New York: Free Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on this blog post! :)