The other day I ran across this blog post from last year entitled "The Big Problem for MOOCs Visualized". It's a quick rundown of findings from various examinations of MOOCs (Massive Online Open Courses) which reveals completion rates of between 1.7% and 3.5%.
In short, the post discusses the cost and effort of preparing and delivering a MOOC but rather than weighing in on this surprising completion rate, it asked readers to supply insights. This was a terrific plan. I read more useful, insightful and engaging commentary about MOOCs in this one place than I've encountered over the last six months!
One oft-repeated comment which I found particularly interesting was the observation that most of the video content was "boring". I understand this comment -- I too have found many "talking head" or "recorded lecture" videos hard to get through. I find a video longer than about ten minutes just isn't effective (at least, of the type of videos I create or watch) -- does anyone have a differing perspective?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for commenting on this blog post! :)